Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Cultural Exchage

The Peace Corps' mission has three simple goals:

1. Helping the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.
(That's the playground project...more on that in my next post)

2. Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.
This means an American city girl learning how to chop wood:

Me. Explaining to Sargis how to place the wood on the chopping block.

I think I'm choking up on the handle.


The hit...that didn't break the log...it only took 14 tries.



3. Helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served:
Hermine and I made homemade play dough last week and grandma joined in on the fun. I've never seen anyone so proud of her cookie cutter cutouts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

Didn't anyone tell you to wear full shoes when you chop wood? More likely to keep your toes if the ax slips. That's a good way to build some muscle in the upper body. Too bad we have gas logs but I'm sure Uncle Paul would be glad to put you to work cutting wood. I'll have to send more cookie cutters for the play doh fun.
Love,
Mom