Sunday, January 16, 2011

Crafty Christmas

I spent time over Christmas and New Years with two of the best, most talented women in the world: My Mom and my Mother-in-law. Fortunately for me, they are both willing to share their gifts with others.

A few years ago my mom joined the Prayer Shawl Ministry at church. She's been knitting up a storm ever since. Her newest project is knitting hats for babies in the hospital. She got several different sized looms for Christmas and she offered to teach me how to knit while I was home. As it turns out, knitting hats is really quite easy (and quick) to learn. I finished the hat on the right in just a few days. It's a good thing since the temperatures haven't been over 30 degrees since I returned to NY. Although tight, this hat does the trick in protecting my ears from the overwhelming wind.

For some lucky baby's bald head.


My Mother-in-law is a gifted seamstress who shares her gifts wherever she goes. When she visited Seattle in 2009 she brought a sewing machine in her trunk. I was ashamed to admit that one of the quilts we started together way back then had sat in my closet unfinished until this winter. She graciously agreed to help me complete it.

I sent this bunny-patterned baby quilt to my host sister's daughter in Armenia. Although I'm not sure when I'll be able to return to meet her, I hope this quilt will keep her warm through the winter.

Thank you both for the things you have taught me--crafts and life lessons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try a hat on the next size loom to see if it will work better for you.
I finished 4 hats this w/e for the babies....no cold heads in Columbus this year :)