Thursday, October 16, 2008

A career in searching

I moved into my new apartment this week and have enjoyed making it 'home'.  When my roommate came in the first night I showed her my possessions: A mattress, a desk and chair and an end table.  She said: "It's ok, little by little".  She's right.  I'm certainly not leaving a big footprint in Queen Anne (although my mom might argue that the boot print is jammed into my childhood bedroom in Columbus where I have overflowing boxes identified by the countries I've visited: Japan box, Costa Rica box, Armenia box, etc...).  

The room is so empty it echoes, which makes me self-conscious when I'm trying to make follow up calls and introduce myself to potential employers.  Follow up calls.  Potential employers.  Oh my, this is the least fun 'job' I've ever had.  When it comes down to it, however, treating it like a job is what I've decided to do.  I sit down at the computer each morning to begin searching/researching, reading and questioning. 

What is the best approach to a successful job search?  By nature, I like to focus on one company that I'm really passionate about:  An agency that has the type of room for growth, professional development and account portfolio that I can invest in.  In reality, today's economy is not conducive to that type of specialization.  All the advice I've received is to cast a wide net to as many organizations as I can. 

I began thinking about this process-the job search process as a job-and it occurred to me that this is a great exercise in agency work.  I am seeking public relations agencies for the opportunity to disseminate information to multiple clients.  I want to be able to shape the public's perceptions, attitudes and behavior by representing everything from big business to small nonprofit.  If I wanted to focus on one business, (the way I'm focusing on one agency to work for) I'd look for positions in corporate public relations.   

The search will continue (in between catering shifts at cool places like the Experience Music Project and Seattle Center).  As much as I enjoy this 'exercise in balancing numerous contacts/organizations', I hope it will end sooner rather than later.  Until then, wait patiently and please don't inquire about the status.  I can assure you that when I'm employed you'll know. 

No comments: