Friday, October 17, 2008

It's not that bad

I never listened to the radio much until I met Dominic.  An NPR fanatic, he has recently introduced me to the various shows dissecting today's economy, international news and presidential race.  I like NPR a lot, but I can only take today's headlines in small doses.  All I want to say is: Good news still exists because we care a lot.

The good news for me relates to how much I care about my family:  I'm able to connect with loved ones instantly from anywhere in this country.  I can talk to my mom without wasting minutes any time I want through the Verizon 'in' network.  I email my grandpa from the WIFI at the free library and I can update this blog whenever I have the inspiration to write--24 hours a day.  Just three months ago, the dream of a good Internet connection, or a phone line for that matter, was a stretch.  

There's good news for the world too.  Honda's plan to sell hybrid motorcycles in 2 years, or students in Papua New Guinea contributing to the coffee industry.  What if homeless billionaires  really are contributing to sustainable development and living in hotels?  All I'm trying to say is that there is good news too.  If I could afford it, I'd subscribe to The Good News Network for the sake of balancing out everything I hear in the mainstream media.  Sometimes it's just nice to know that people are working hard for something they care about.

For example, I catered a fundraising event last night for the Washington Toxics Coalition.  Their mission, to protect public health and the environment by eliminating toxic pollution, raised thousands of dollars for lobbying for safer products, healthy homes & gardens and sustainable agriculture.  One of their PowerPoint slides highlighted 'volatile vinyl'.  This organization raised money at a time when people are hesitating to buy cheese bricks at the grocery store.  If society can raise money for toxic-free children's toys then who's to say we can't fight poverty and hunger?  Americans are generous and we do care about a lot.  We're willing to give of our time and money to organizations that promote just about everything.  

I came home and my roommate commented on my extensive travel background.  We both agreed that, for all the problems it has, America is truly a great place to be.  I'll listen, even donate to NPR, remembering that this station is just contributing to one more reason why I love America.  We care about everything.  

No comments: